Monday, August 29, 2011

First Day of Art School

When I grew up, my Mom used to say, "when I was in art school...." "In art school we did...." I am starting art school, Mom, I hope you would be proud. I once thought, "be your own person, Amy....don't reference your mother when you discuss your talent." Do I have talent? I don't know. But my mother was very talented. I thought about my favorite singer song writer Leonard Cohen..his son Adam is a musician and so is John Lennon's son. We cannot change the fact that our parents are a part of who we are. They help form our identity. So, Mom, I thought of you today when I listened to my sculpting professor, Barron, at my new adventure in "Art School." I thought, I bet my mom is right here with me. I will think of my mother, when I tell people. "hey, I am going to art school!"

"Art school" sounds bohemian. I attend FLCC, not too bohemian! Finger Lakes Community College. I am a firm believer in bargains and shopping locally! The college is 10 minutes away, even doable by bicycle.

The great thing about community colleges is that you can redo one's high school years. In high school I was all college prep/ math science. No time for art. The schedule was full. Art was a secret longing. In my twenties and thirties I was a farmer's wife/mom and then a nurse. My mother was alive and she was the artist. I was intimidated to try to even go there! So I focused on my career and motherhood.
Mom passed away 10 years ago this December. I wish I could have shown her more of my appreciation of her talent.

I have just one class on Mondays, Sculpting and Modeling--and this class is usually for second year students. The prof said not to worry, that the class would work along with the other classes that I am taking simultaneously. I am excited to try this out. I already have a plan for my first project, the wire sculpture assignment.

The other students are all young. I am fifty. Mid-life exploration. If I do well enough I might consider doing a double major with graphic arts, as I only have to do about 4 classes next year to fulfill my degree requirements. If I do a double major then there definitely might be career potential.

My plan is to do this web-log and give a chronological account of my education as it happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment