Sunday, October 21, 2012

Printmaking 1- the Monotype

With the wood block project, much effort was spent on getting the block right in order to produce many copies of it.  With the monotype, one only gets a single copy of the finished product.  It can be frustrating to spend a lot of time on an image painted on plexiglass only to have it come out sub-standard. One only gets one shot at a monotype!  I was experiencing such disappointment, so I changed my strategy.  The last time I went in to work, (Friday) I quickly painted up a bunch of botanical renderings. This first photo- I used up some paint--in an abstract expression of color:


These are the flower paintings- I was inspired by a wild flower handbook.


This is the Rieves paper soaking- It costs around 6 dollars for a big sheet.  The sheet of paper must be cut up on the paper cutter--and that is challenging in itself. When ones brain is focused on creativity, switching to the analytical- mathmatical side of the brain is not always that easy! The paper must soak a minimum of 15 minutes.  After it soaks it must be blotted to remove the excess water.


This is the above blue flower picture while I was creating it.  The Linseed oil thins the paint.  The white paint is a little thick at times.


Sorry that this is not the correct orientation--These girls are drawn from a reference photo.  My mother is in the center, as a child.  This print, has a border, which is accomplished by cutting a newsprint mat, which is placed around the image- prior to printing.


These below, are my first attempts.
We have the choice of oil paint or monotype ink.


The final submission for grading is between 5 and 25 prints.  The above chipmunk photo was taken by my former boyfriend and I took the photo of my grand-daughter.




No comments:

Post a Comment