Saturday, October 20, 2012

Update on Ceramics- Pinch Pots!

On Friday at four pm the little ceramic projects came out of the kiln, at Finger lakes Community College.  I am an adult learner art student, embarking on an adventure in ceramics, in case you are new to my blog.

I was interested to learn that the kiln has to run at a very high temp--1600F or so for 24 hrs to change the chemical composition of the pots so that they are no longer "greenware".  I am unsure of the exact temperature, but fortunately the temperature can be monitored and the professor can control it via a computer.   There are different types of ceramic ware. There is earthenware, stoneware and porcelain, and all require a different temperature for firing.  We are working with stone ware.  My pine pot and the little bears came out of their second firing, post glazing.  I have yet to see how they came out.  But here is the prior to the second firing photo.  Tomorrow, on Sunday, I am going to go in to work on my coil projects and I intend to check on the pinch pots.


Pinch projects prior to glaze application: "bisque ware"




I applied a coat of blackish copper oxide on this also to darken it.


These are the glazes.


Update on pinch pots one year later!





No comments:

Post a Comment