Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Arm--In Pastels

Every week we receive an assignment to draw a body part.  This week I handed in my drawing of an arm which I drew (painted) with pastels.  I flipped through my library book and found an arm.  The book is about Florentine art, Drawing in Early Renaissance Italy.  I rendered my drawing and then, when crediting the original artist- Vivarini from the 1480's, I read that he did his drawing from Model books, rather than from a living model.  If I had searched further, I would have made a better choice with Michelangelo's arm on another page of the same book.

 I found that pastels are fun and difficult.  I liked my limited pallet choice.  I had recalled that my daughter in law- advised creating shadow with a complimentary color..so I went with orangey yellow and a blue background and blue for value.  I also learned that what I created is actually a painting not a drawing, because I filled in the whole page.  I probably should have left a border and will for the next.  I drawing in pastels is considered a drawing when the pastels are used just for the subject.

Pastels are so difficult because they don't erase well.  The task of creating this image was not as terrifying as working with ink, but there were a few moments where I was unsure if I would be able to fix an area of color.  The shadow on the biceps was not curved correctly and at one point I moved his hand upwards.

 My instructor told me to make sure I covered the piece which I did with tracing paper.



I really do like the final outcome of pastels!  Much more interesting than graphite!

No comments:

Post a Comment