Sunday, October 21, 2012

Figure Drawing 1--the Gesture Drawing

I was going to add to the previous blog entry to expand upon "the gesture drawing" but instead I thought I would just give the topic its own space.

Our gesture drawings are timed.  We have a live model.  The teacher has a timer. 20 seconds or 30 seconds are about the length of the poses.  The model changes to a new position when the timer goes off.  I use vine charcoal on newsprint.  We do this for about a half hour, then we start doing longer poses.

Some of my drawings have the length of time, written on them, but they all should.  A gesture drawing is a loose capturing of the moment of the figure.  Details are omitted, as there is not the time.

No outline is allowed- one has to sort of scribble out a person onto the paper really fast.


I am not impressed with the ones directly below- too stiff





These are a little nicer- more movement is apparent. these are probably 30 seconds.





This might have been a ten second:


I like these below, but a little too outliney!


This one, in my estimation is a good one.



five minute--is below



No comments:

Post a Comment